Today the beautiful Lidia steps out onto the Kit’s Couture catwalk, wearing my final Variation in Green. This was a challenging creation for Kit’s Couture as Lidia is one of Las Reinas (the Queens) de Paola Reina and stands almost 24″ tall. She’s comparatively slim in the body but her arms and legs are very sturdy. I have no patterns for her, and there don’t appear to be any out there. So I was on my own.
Or was I? A while ago, Rosie (of Rosie’s Doll Clothes Patterns) had blogged about a method for enlarging or reducing existing patterns to fit other dolls. Maybe I could do something with this? I decided to use Rosie’s summer dress pattern for American Girl, and try to resize that to fit Lidia. So I measured, compared and applied the formula, and enlarged the bodice by about an inch all around.
This proved less easy than I’d hoped. Lidia has a slight bust, like all the Paola Reina dolls I’ve seen, whereas American Girls are flat-chested. So I almost needed a dart in the front of the bodice. Almost – but I thought I could just about get away without. By contrast I seemed to have too much material at the back. I got around this by gathering the skirt directly into the bodice – Rosie’s pattern puts a waistband between skirt and bodice – and then wrapping a decorative ribbon around the seam. This ties at the back, and it is easy to gather up any extra bodice material into the ribbon and tie it securely down. A bit Heath-Robinson, but it works.
I cut the enlarged bodice out of the moss-green material which has been working so hard for Kit’s Couture recently, and chose a pretty olive-green and russet-red print for the skirt. I finished off the hem of the dress with a very sweet decorative ribbon with a bunny motif, and used the same material to make an Alice band for her hair.
Lidia has completed her outfit with her pale pink tights from her meet outfit, and some black boots by Paola Reina which give her the look of a Victorian miss. A pearl necklace complements the ensemble – fit for a Queen!
I’m quite pleased with this outfit,and have learned a lot about enlarging patterns, and have gained a lot of confidence in reworking and adjusting Rosie’s standard pattern to fit this queenly doll.