By contrast with my previous post, which featured my first wobbly attempt at making doll’s clothes, here is Annika wearing the most recent creation from Kit’s Couture. This simple but chic French design was made using a pattern from Vanina who runs the Les Chéries de Vaniline blog and makes her patterns (‘patrons’) available for purchase there. Vanina favours Liberty prints and I was lucky enough to find a fat square at my local needlecrafts shop, Fabric Magic, which, while not Liberty, was similar in feel. Annika’s outfit is completed by her green classic ankle strap shoes from Monique.
The pattern draws on the same techniques used to make Kit’s summer dress, being essentially a lined yoke attached to a softly gathered skirt. I’ve made a few of these dresses with yokes now and I have been encouraged to see how much more accurate and exact my stitching has become since my first attempt three months ago. Even my top-stitching – which I still find tricky – has improved. The new skill here was attaching the ties which fasten the dress at the side. The pattern instructions clearly say to be careful to attach these correctly, and I did take great care over the placement of the first one, stitching it accurately and securely. Then I discovered I’d put in the wrong way round and had to unpick it. And then I did exactly the same with the second tie too!
The main challenge with this pattern, however, was that it and the instructions are all in French and I was not familiar with the French vocabulary of dressmaking. With a bit of help from Google Translate I worked out that, for example, ‘Cranter les arrondis’ means ‘clip curves’… at least I think it does. That’s what I did anyway, and it seems to have worked very well.
American Girl owners please note that Kidz ‘n’ Cats are slim dolls and patterns designed for them will be too small for the sturdier build of the American Girl.